Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Moment

I often feel very safe and secure in where I live. Although it is not the most up and coming areas of town, I love all that it is. My end of the street can be very quiet at times when the northern section tends to be more rowdy. However, after a day like today, I notice different events or pains that exist around. Today at Neighborhood Thrift, it came to my attention that drugs are definitely around this area and can affect lives to those we care about. A very crucial conversation took place as I learned how drugs were affecting this guy and that it tends to take control w/ very little intention being needed. After leaving the store with that heavy on my heart I rode my bike down my street heading to City Hall for a meeting, right across the street I saw a volunteer hanging out outside of a neighbor’s house. Although I can be wrong, I got the sense that something shady had just happened and I may have appeared at a wrong time. I had a conversation with this guy who was an all-star volunteer and he informed that he got the job he was going for at Chuckchansi park being an extra hand around there when events/games were going on. This was a big accomplishment for him and I was super stoked to see him get some much-needed work. I pray that I am still able to enter into relationship with him later down the road but who knows.
Even tonight I am reminded that pain exists in this community as I observe really high dollar cars drive up and down the street. Ivan my roommate says that these could be cars from outside the neighborhood bringing drugs down or perhaps picking them up. I have seen cars drop prostitutes off down the street as to avoid them being put on the main drag. Although this is a very safe neighborhood for the most part, I should remember that good things aren’t always happening and God is calling for me to be a part of a small story of Fresno. He wants all of these people to be cared for and valued just as much as those on the north side of town but roadblocks tend to be set up in unfortunate times. As he uses my neighbors to be a part of his redeeming process, his ultimate goal is for them to see the hope of God and his Kingdom.

No comments: