Friday, May 23, 2008

Community/Relationships

Relationships are definitely not always the easiest things to deal with. I have realized that very much in the last week or so. Especially living in community with one another when you come in close contact with them. I am sure that the type of person that i am makes it hard for me as well. For instance, i enjoy people very much. Having fun, chatting, catching up, or just lounging around. When things arn't right between me and someone else i usually want to get to the bottom of it and figure things out. And then there are times when i have no idea what to say to them, or how to respond or what i expect to happen. I live in a house with 10 other people. You can imagine how things come up and just with the ups and downs of life sometimes, things arn't always perfect within in the house and outside of the house. We did a catch up on everyone's life this last week and i started us off. All i had to say was really good things are happening in my life. And i feel like they usually are like that. I don't know if that is just my perspective or if it is just that i am super blessed w/ a terrific life. I feel as if God has been laying out my present stage for a while and i think that he is doing a mighty fine job. The other people in the PH shared how they are doing, whats going on and it wasn't always great terrific things. Some people had some pretty crappy things to share and just that life kind of bites right now. Like really bites. It stinks to hear those things and makes me want to jump in and try to solve their problems (if they are even theirs to begin with). Usually this stuff comes as a shock b/c they have been keeping it close to them and not lettign anyone know the disappointments that they are facing. Thats a bummer b/c we live in a "community house" but things are understandable b/c maybe they don't feel open to share w/ everyone or don't really want to. Its great to have these discussions at a later point and be able to just listen and/or speak if that is what they need to. The aftermath of this sharing time has been pretty great, i think that i have learned more about individuals in my house this week and that counts for something. That in turn may open up other conversations with them at a later time.

On to another point of relationships, i have discussed this w/ some people before but it makes sense the more i try to grasp it. As my brother has said to me "you have always been good at having a lot of friends" and i think that he is right. I have really great friends and i think that sometimes there are a lot of them. Their are different groups in different cities and different times of my life. Some are pretty close and some are just still friends that i enjoy keeping up with. Recently i have i guess let the relationships take care of themselves a little bit more. Instead of me having to always keep up the relationship i feel as if putting it into the other persons hands might be better.

I think as i get a bit older i have realized these things and am very appreciative of it. I am not sure if this sounds like a whole lot of rambling or what, but it is a piece of what is inside at the moment. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Jaclyn Marina said...

This does not sound like a whole lot of rambling, it makes sense. :)

I love reading your blogs Bryan, and I'm sure glad to be your friend! :)

I'm Kelsie said...

the rambling kind are my favorite

Anonymous said...

rambling or not, you speak the truth. community is always harder once you stick yourself in the middle of it - but it's infinitely better than isolation.

more posts!!!