Monday, May 12, 2008

oh Kindergartners

Well today, i subbed for a kindergarten class for the enjoyment of some awesome little kids (and a little bit of cash). So far the day had just been going alright. i forgot about how much work these little kids were but they really just want to have a great time all the time. so i will introduce to this kid nick. so he turned in his practice pages to me and it had his name on the top so i just put the name to the face and asked him how the sheet was.

Nick asked me "how did you know what my name is?" i responded "i can read you mind and i saw that you name was nick" nick said "that is witchcraft, my mom says that that is a type of voodoo magic or something." I asked Nick if his mom knew about that stuff and he said "No she is right with God" so questioned him about that statement and was wondering how he knew that. Nick said "well she goes to church and prays to God" i asked him "well are you right with God too? and how do i become right w/ God?" Nick asked "what church do i go to?" he told me that church that his mom goes to and then asked me what denomination it was and if it was catholic (how does a 5 year old kid know the word denomination????) Nick said that "that way to pray is to either be on your knees or i guess you could be in bed too" i thought that was pretty profound. Then i asked how do i know if i am right with god and he then said this exact statement "do you do outreach??" i responded that i do actually. he contemplated my decision and thought that as long as i pray and do outreach then i might be good with God. This next part blew my mind. Later on the playground i was doing yard duty, i thought that i would prope a little bit more and see what else his theology consists of. Nick said to me that "judgement is going to come at 6pm" my mouth just dropped and i asked him what that means he said that "judgement is part of sin" he didn't know when this will come but it could be any day but would be at 6 pm.

Anyways i think that was most of the conversation that we had, but i thought that it was remarkable. I told the teacher about how interested i was in our conversation and he said that he sometimes says huge words like justify when kids are in trouble but get caught talking or something. I think that we need to teach kids like Nick more often. I couldn't believe this kid. He was awesome, and left me wondering "Am i right with God?" and i think that we could learn a bit from this child. SInce i have this memory, i guess i could share another one from recess.

This kid Israel, had a little pocket paintbrush in his pocket and was chasing a girl around the jungle gym. She was screaming b/c he told her that he was going to paint a mustache on her face if he could. She came up to me scared but having a blast w/ it. They love to have any reason just to run away from each other. Its great. Well that is it today.

Love and Peace, Bryan

2 comments:

Denise Feil said...

ahh... good times. I think it has to do with our expectations. If we expect 5 or 6 year olds to read and know the gospel then they will. If we expect them to watch tv all the time and goof off... they will. Piper is doing a series on passing it on to the next generation and that is exactly what he stated. We must raise our expectations for ourselves and the next generation.

jason said...

Thats great... gotta love little kids... interestingly, I just wrote about kindergartners too...

We should write a book "The Theology according to Kindergartners".