Monday, November 5, 2007

There is no perfect model of anything.

I had recently read this quote from Richard Foster in his book "The Freedom of Simplicity." Foster discusses how because we are finite human beings we tend to distort the truth and make mistakes regularly. Each movement that involves simplicity is different from the previous one although there are many similarities.
I think that what Foster has to say is true in all different aspects of our lives. A model of someones marriage for example may be different than someone else's but will work wonderfully for each couple. Of course GOd has different guidlines set up and a sort of structure but i think there is a lot of (for lack of a better word) customization to each individual. Same for communities and relationships, i believe. There is no perfect model of anything.
There is a lot that i am trying to learn and contemplate in living a simple life. I think that the same principle applies. WHat i have learned from Foster so far is that living a simple life has to be rooted in obedience and trust in God.
SOmething else that i learned which i thought was kinda neat was that quakers lived in simplicity by the fashions that they chose to wear. they rejected the fashions of the time and wore plain clothing of the working class. they also refused to take off their hats to the high and mighty classes b/c they were convinced that all people deserved equal honor. Pretty awesome stuff. WEll let me know what you think and God BLess.

2 comments:

jordan wiebe said...

i dont tip my hat to noone.

Anonymous said...

Your ideas intrigue me. I have often contemplated living simply as matter of dress, and i must say that i have not bought new clothing in about 5 years. Exceptions would be shoes and a suit, but i still feel like my clothing may be a little too fancy. I do love your v- necks though, i just wish i could pull it off as well. You are the man Bryan and you inspire me. It also makes me happy that I am on your myspace profile pic.