Friday, January 18, 2008

My friend Jesus

Let me set the scene for you. Winchell Elementary, located at orange and kings canyon, kindergarten, 20 students. I had an aide in the class for the first part but then was on my own after lunch which was only 2 and half hours remaining after break. I set up some activities for them to do. you know, cutting and glueing stuff to match and what not, but nothing is going smooth. the lesson plans state that if i want to for 30 min, i can either put on a 'educational video' or take them out to the playground. After pondering these options, i swing for both. After the movie, i read them a story and then tell them that if they behave i will take them to the playground (knowing that regardless, i would take them to the playground).

When we get out there, the kids are having a blast. I am just patrolling the jungle gym like a standard teacher, walking around a bit. Then this great little kid named 'jesus' comes up to me and proclaims

"I challenge you...to be a kid again!"

i reply "i accept your challenge"

Jesus 'Ok. follow me for your first challenge!" (this is a kindergartner mind you)

Se walk around the playground going down the slides, and as all the rest of kids see me playing, they run and scream over at me and literally chanting

"Go teacher Go!"
"Go teacher Go!"

It was awesome. so there are basically like 5 challenges of just fun things on the jungle gym that he wants me to particpate in. Most of the other kids are just following and going down the slides after me. and just saying 'hey teacher. watch me do this' just wanting me to share in the excitement and give them my approval.

The final challenge was having to dig a hole in the sandbox. I thought to myself, 'man then i am going to get my hands all sandy and dirty' but i figured, that is exactly why he is challenging me to be a kid again. So i dug and he finally gave me his approval. The playground ended w/ Jesus telling me that tomorrows challenge is going to be a HUGE sandcastle. When i informed him that i wouldn't be back he got a little sad but soon carried on with his playing. It was a spectacular day and i had a blast with the kids after all. I heard the statement numerous times that 'teacher your the best ever!" which isn't the most unheard of thing for kindergartner's to say but still touching nonetheless. It turned out to be a highlight in subbing for younger kids, and a very memorable experience.

So moral of the story...sometimes we need to just become kids again, and lighten up and have a blast. Even if it doesn't make sense because we might get a little dirty. Jesus just wanting me to partake in his enjoyment of the playground. And i am glad that he did.

10 comments:

gene pensiero said...

--
i love it.

Unknown said...

Great story! I laughed a lot. I got great visuals of owning kids on top of the jungle gym.

Anonymous said...

That was pretty damn touching.

I'm Kelsie said...

i like this. kind of a twist on "what would jesus do"

Anonymous said...

children are brilliant.
jesus has good ideas, even if they make us look ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

you would write a song about v's... i'm glad you enjoyed it! pretty much changed my life.

it was really good to see you today, thanks for being hospitable. and sometime i'll teach you how to make hummus, it's lots of fun.

gene pensiero said...

--
ps, i love the new layout.

did i already say that?

Barry said...

this is a great story...it rings like a 2000-year-old echo.

"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." - Jesus

Jaclyn Marina said...

Such an awesome story.

Much love, jackie

Laura Adams said...

Bryan, that is marvelous! my Canadian roommate and I throughly enjoyed your story.