Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Jesus for President



By the way, i picked this up this last weekend while in Santa Barbara. I had been looking forward to this for a bit and am enjoying it so far. It has set up a lot of the Jewish culture in the Old Testament. It has really put a lot more of the bible in the context to understand that when Jesus arrived what he was really walking into. You may have remember a post that i did on some parables in Luke. 19 and 20 i think, and in this book they discuss them briefly. It is the parable of the 10 minas and how at the end of the passage he says

27But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me."

They write about in the book that the Kings of the time were Herod's three sons Archelaus, Antipas, and Philip and they were pretty power hungry kids. (these kids are remaining after he killed his other sons that were threatning) Some of the jesish people didn't want these sons in power and went to protest and later got murdered. So all to say that this is most likely the kind of story that Jesus is referencing and he uses his political satire. His character doesn't represent the charachter of God which is why he doesn't start the parable out "The Kingdom of God is like..."

So i got my question answered in a different way that i had thought and am thankful for those who know a lot more that me! Go pick up the book and read through it as well. it is pretty exciting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm mmm mmm. i love me some shane claiborne.

ps - i would love to go backpacking if you need more friends!

Laura Adams said...

ah, I cannot wait to get my hands on that book. I'm afraid I won't be getting a copy until I'm home or at least back in Canada... shipping things to Peru is bizarrely expensive. I'm glad that you enjoyed it!