Monday, March 24, 2008

Religiousity

lately, i have been dealing, contemplating, and discussing different religious views and ideas and practices. things like war and its biblical view and all the postmodern mumbo jumbo as well as the biblically conservative point of view on issues. it just seems as though i have been a little too heavy into those themes and ideas than just talking/praying and figuring out who God is an what he means to me. I know that some or most of those things can help us learn who he is and shows us the character of God but lately i feel as if it is doing the opposite. There are so many issues and arguments to have about what the bible says about particular ideas and theories and i need a break from it. I know that God is a beautiful creator and that he cares about our world and wants us to love each other. I also know that we need to learn to put others in front of ourselves and that he has things for us to learn in all different circumstances. But much more than that i feels as if i am not sure of things and don't really know how important they are. What do you think? How important is it to study and know every little detail about what i think and what you think and how they are different and which one is wrong and which one is right. Maybe its important and maybe its not as. I hope that this time will pass and that i can dive into some ideas later but for now i need to just figure out how to love those around me and God himself not the theories and ideas. I hope that you are all doing well.

4 comments:

Jaclyn Marina said...

Good questions Bryan. Really good questions. I don't know. I don't think that we'll ever get all the answers. I don't know if there are always answers, either. Is it all black and white? Right and wrong? I'm not so sure.

I do think that you got it right though. THE most important thing is loving God and loving others.

:) Hope you are well!
Much love,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

good questions indeed. i think these won't go away.

it gets hard when you realize your foundation - to love as best you can - but then have to figure out the details from there. but i think what you say is very, very true. when we get too caught up in the details, we forget the big picture.

i feel like i've made a huge shift the last year of my life, from thinking about faith to actually feeling faith. it's been a good thing. a lot of it has to do with these questions, and sometimes just surrendering myself to the mystery and feeling it out from there...

jason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jason said...

(the reason I deleted my first one is because I read it over and I had some pretty stupid grammar errors...)


That is an awesome post...

But I think not knowing is the point... if Christianity was only a matter of having a certain philosophy that would suck... isnt that the beauty of Christ... we can be different but his Grace is sufficient (not to say that there arent heretics out there)!

I have to confess that I feel the same way... I think that my arguments that I get into sometimes get in the way of simply loving people.

The pursuit of Truth is important but it has to be done in love... and many times I am not loving when I am "pursuing truth".


peace out brother!!!